Home > Jewish Life > Enough Matzoh

Enough Matzoh

April 26th, 2011

I think we all start Pesach very up beat and energetic. It is a time of celebration (they tried to kill us – they didn’t succeed, lets eat! Wait a minute – that is describes a significant amount of the Jewish Holidays. Recurring theme here?) All the special foods bring a bit of camaraderie and nostalgia.

Then reality sets in. There is probably a really good reason why we don’t eat this stuff the rest of the year. Yes, I like Tsmimmis and probably should make it. Most of the soups that I make are fine for any time of the year (I don’t do Matzoh Balls – I make them but don’t eat them. Even light and fluffy – I. don’t. like. them.)

The days start to pass. There are just so many ways that you can disguise matzoh and I get really, really bored with low fat mozzarella and tomatoes. All those things which I never eat start to look good. I start carefully reading food labels – scrutinising all the ingredients with care in the hopes of being able to declare it ok and add it to my pitifully limited intake choices.

And why is tonight different from all other nights (or at least the last eight)?

Real Pizza…..

Categories: Jewish Life Tags:
  1. April 26th, 2011 at 23:03 | #1

I’m so with you here, but we still have a couple of hours before I can indulge.

2. Bonnie
    April 27th, 2011 at 15:26 | #2

My survival sandwich: Peanut butter and sliced banana on Matzoh. (It’s my favorite sandwich on bread).

Quote from husband this past weekend: “Passover cookies suck ass. And I have a far lower standard than you do when it comes to cookies.”

True on both counts.

3. Ruth
    April 27th, 2011 at 15:27 | #3

LOL…Mazel tov! And…what kind of pizza are making tonight?

4. Holly
    April 27th, 2011 at 15:28 | #4

anything with pizza crust. Actually, the pizza didn’t happen till this noon – nothing in the house to make it with. I had to go grocery shopping!

5. Carmen
    April 27th, 2011 at 15:29 | #5

Ha! J

6. Alison
    April 27th, 2011 at 15:30 | #6

I hope you don’t mind my laughing… Typed the Mormon who loves the
    smell of coffee. I’ve never drunk it. Just inhaled.

7. Mark
    April 27th, 2011 at 15:31 | #7

Ditto. Having ultra thin pizza now.

8. Cheryl
    April 27th, 2011 at 15:33 | #8

At the risk of seeming weird or rude, how does a vegetarian manage Passover? I thought lamb was a requirement at the Sedar meal.

9. Pat
    April 27th, 2011 at 15:39 | #9

Oh, I love Matzoh balls. But I loathe marshmallows, and nougat, and
    meringue and other light fluffy things … :)

10. Berg
    April 27th, 2011 at 15:40 | #10

New York pizza?

11. Beverly
    April 27th, 2011 at 15:44 | #11

Mmmm – I agree. I couldn’t help pondering on the logic of it all (OK we don’t do logic in Judaism, it’s TRADITION). A bunch of folks in the late Bronze Age get persecuted, seize an opportunity to escape and three and a half thousand years later we don’t eat bread for a week. Huh? Perhaps that wouldn’t be too bad but then my musings led me to suspect that there has been some real commercial exploitation in recent years – as in, you can’t eat THAT unless it’s got a Pesach sticker on it certifying that it has never, ever sniffed a breadcrumb in its life.

Many years ago when we lived in Leeds (which, at the time, had a thriving provincial Jewish community) I was bemused when our kosher deli offered soap and candles with kosher for Pesach stickers. Don’t know about you but I try not to eat soap & candles . . . It got even sillier when apparently at the same kosher deli (and this was in the late 1950s), a customer complained that the item she had just bought didn’t have a sticker, so the man reached under the counter, pulled out a roll of Pesach stickers and, with an apology, stuck one on the item.

12. Angeluna
    April 29th, 2011 at 15:23 | #12

(they tried to kill us – they didn’t succeed, lets eat!}

So funny! and so true. My wonderful local grocery that does a lot of prepared foods has had all the kosher foods for the Jewish holidays. I’ve gotten lots of them, but had to forego the matzoh. Not my thing. Also passed on something that looked liked rather dry grey mush.

What is Tsmimmis?