Home > military > Stick a fork in me – I am done.

Stick a fork in me – I am done.

April 29th, 2011

After spending the morning at Landstuhl attending some orientations lectures and filling out a ton of paperwork, I made it back to Heidelberg by 1230.

Do you have any idea of how annoying it is to have every single gate guard remind you that your ID Card expires in the next couple of days? I know that they are trying to be helpful, but the third time in a day going through a gate gets to be really, really annoying.

At 1300 the lovely guy who runs the Heidelberg transition center opened up his door. He had all the information he needed and in the next 30 minutes managed to cut my retirement and transition orders (only one error – and that was entered at DA which he can’t fix). Complete all the forms related to actually doing the retirement, issue the DD214 and otherwise manage everything.

After that – it was a matter of getting though finance without part of the needed paperwork (would you believe that the Embassy in London is not functioning today?) and getting and signing more copies of everything. By 1500 I had finally reached the rest of the crew who came over to get ID cards updated.

I am now the proud owner of a blue ID card, have sent Ms Soprano her paperwork in the mail so she can do the update this coming week and have changed out of my uniform for the very last time. I joined the reserves in Jan, 1978. My last day on the payroll will be tomorrow – 30 April 2011. It has been a long and unintended 33 years. Just going assignment to assignment had the years piling up. I don’t have words or wisdom or a great farewell speech. Not even had this whole process gone smoothly would I be writing a long essay. I would hope that I have made a positive difference over the years.

In any case I think I am going to lie down in the hammock for a while. I think I have earned it. Of course, since it has rained – the hammock is soaked. Next bright idea?

Categories: military Tags:
  1. Carmen
    April 29th, 2011 at 16:56 | #1

Congrats!

2. Brad
    April 29th, 2011 at 16:57 | #2

Test the waters of retiree life for me, and give me a full report in 3 months.

3. Shawn
    April 29th, 2011 at 16:57 | #3

Enjoy your hammock time. What a story! Get writing…

4. Bob
    April 29th, 2011 at 16:58 | #4

Of course the embassy in London is not functioning today — they’re having a huge wedding and media frenzy. With everyone glued to “tellies” there’d be no work done anyway. But I said everything would work out in the end. Now enjoy the well-earned hammock, you can start writing the book tomorrow! Welcome back to the civilian world!

5. Bonnie
    April 29th, 2011 at 16:58 | #5

MAZEL TOV!! Now, go lie down.

Please keep me on your mail list. I’d love to continue to be a part of your life post-Army.

6. Ruth
    April 29th, 2011 at 16:59 | #6

Congrats!
    By the time this reaches you from CA, there will be very, very few hours left until you are officially done. Thanks for your long service. Intended or not you’ve been a valuable asset to the country.

7. Mary Lou
    April 29th, 2011 at 16:59 | #7

Congratulations!!!!

8. Steve
    April 29th, 2011 at 18:05 | #8

Be careful with how high you set that hammock, Holly, because you are now extremely short. :-)

9. Pat
    April 29th, 2011 at 18:06 | #9

I know you have made a difference, but it never feels like enough,
    does it? Oh, dear one, ((hugs)).

10. Ron
    April 29th, 2011 at 18:06 | #10

congratulations. You have earned a nice rest.

11. Linda M
    April 29th, 2011 at 18:35 | #11

congratulations! a lot of people throughout the years and places you worked are grateful you were there when they needed you. Enjoy your time to yourself now, you’ve earned it.

12. Steve
    April 29th, 2011 at 19:02 | #12

And I guess you deserve one more time…
    TEN-HUT, OFFICER ON DECK !!!
    MAZEL TOV

13. Alison
    April 29th, 2011 at 19:02 | #13

You did it! Congratulations, and thank you for your service.

14. Bruce & Betty
    April 29th, 2011 at 19:06 | #14

CONGRATULATIONS!

15. Allison
    April 29th, 2011 at 19:06 | #15

Wow. 33 years (faint). I have NO IDEA how anyone could to that! :) Congratulations on an amazing career and a job well done!! WHEW!
    BTW I was 13 in 78 …. ;)

Changing out of the uniform for the very last time… ah memories. I only did 13 years active + 5 as a cadette… but it seemed like a lifetime – well… it is a lifetime when you are 45.

Are you going to miss it?

16. Holly
    April 29th, 2011 at 19:07 | #16

and are you trying to make me feel old (grin).

It was only limited fun for the last couple of years (other than the deployment). It is time to move on.

17. Todd Jprdan
    April 29th, 2011 at 19:17 | #17

Reminds me of the paperwork just to get processed out of the Navy. Thank goodness I ddnt have to go through what you did.

Your tone sounds tired. Are you ready to jump up and intomyour next adventure?

18. Mitch
    April 29th, 2011 at 19:53 | #18

Enjoy your knitting.

19. Beverly
    April 29th, 2011 at 21:39 | #19

Very best wishes for a long, happy and fulfilling retirement. You’ve earned it – especially for your sheer patience in coping with the frustrations of the last few weeks! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Hopefully the blogs will continue as you settle down (?) to life as a civilian!

20. Paul
    April 29th, 2011 at 21:42 | #20

With the utmost respect, I would like to let you know you made a positive difference in my life.

I just wanted to make sure you knew that.

21. Svein
    April 29th, 2011 at 22:33 | #21

You have made a difference. I have learned more from you than anyone. Thank you for your effort.

22. Helen
    April 30th, 2011 at 05:35 | #22

God sent you on this road for a reason. There is no question that you have made a positive difference – a lot of of people would say the same.
    Now you should take in the different sounds, sights, smells etc, and relax and enjoy.

23. Susan & Ken
    April 30th, 2011 at 05:38 | #23

Congratulations and thank you for your service on behalf of all of us safe here at home. You have indeed earned a good rest and we wish you a very happy healthy retirement. Please come visit when it works in your ‘schedule’

24. Berg
    April 30th, 2011 at 05:39 | #24

You have earned it and from an old Chief, thank you for YOUR service.

25. Jane
    April 30th, 2011 at 05:43 | #25

Congratulations!

I, for one, am glad you serviced and were there when I needed you in the male chauvinist world.

26. April
    April 30th, 2011 at 05:47 | #26

Yes please go lay in a hammock, better yet grab hubby and take a cruise, lots of knitting ,naps, wear what you want when you want, (or nothing at all), eat what you want when you want, do what you want when you want. Never have to worry about saluting every one that walks by as you salute. Never have to stay in a tent unless you decide to go camping, in that case it will not be next to an airport runway, Never use a port o let with out a lock on the door or restrooms with curtains for doors. Unless of course you attend the colorado state fair which by the arena bathroom you do not want to use. As they are too cheap for doors, so they use shower curtain, luckily insidea building at least still rather embarrassing at times.
    Sleep til you need or want to get up, without having to worry. Eat in your kitchen or dining room with your family and if you hate the meals fire the cook.

27. Colin
    May 1st, 2011 at 01:38 | #27

Congratulations!

It’s hard to believe that so much time has passed!

28. Cheryl