Home > Knitting, Travel > Rauma 053-5

Rauma 053-5

July 25th, 2013

There I was, wandering around in Stavanger Norway when the Husfliden just grabbed me by the neck and dragged me in. What is worse? They had files and files of older Rauma Patterns. End result is that booklet 053 came home with me. I had been pretty good up to that point – not buying yarn, that is in spite of temptation…. But I needed something stranded in just a couple of colors that might just be portable (dreaming here) …

And then  I saw it, hidden inside one of the binders.

Rauma 53-5A

Rauma 53-5A

With this variation

53-5C

53-5C

which is knit in a heavier gauge yarn.

So I bought yarn

three colors of Finnull

three colors of Finnull

[black, charcoal and WineRot] and cast on ribbing which was as far as I was going to get till I got home. No way was I writing on the original pattern. That chart

would you believe 204x 180+?

would you believe 204x 180+?

totally eliminated even the remotest thought that I could keep my place without scanning, printing, enlarging and colored pens.

Been there – knit both Viking Ship and Phoenix – I know better than to assume my eye is not going to wander somewhere in the middle of the row.

So here I am – ribbing complete – project started on Ravelry and the first 16 rows knit -

side seam

side seam

and across the front

and across the front

There was an option of knitting a busy, tiny circles pattern on the back but I am not completely insane. It is actually more fun to knit a large pattern four times (two reversed) than it is to knit a repeat of 4×4 stitch circles.

So -what do you think?

Categories: Knitting, Travel Tags:
  1. July 25th, 2013 at 15:11 | #1

That is going to be stunning on you! Are you doing the vest or the sweater? Watch out for the placement of those 2 central flowers. On me that wouldn’t work. Do you really think this can be a traveling project? Maybe you could get a copy of the chart laminated. In the round? Steeked armholes?

2. Ruth
    July 25th, 2013 at 16:19 | #2

It will be lovely. I think, glad it’s you and not me knitting that! And, after those sweaters, this one should be easy….for you. :-)

3. July 25th, 2013 at 17:14 | #3

Ah, the immortal binders full of women modeling…

4. July 26th, 2013 at 08:05 | #4

Definitely in the round with Steeks. I haven’t decided between sweater and vest, but leaning toward vest. Given the fact that I am a two bandaid person rather than fluffy – those upper circles are not going to be a problem (grin). but they may get snipped a bit in the neck.

What do you think? Round to match or V for contrast?

5. July 26th, 2013 at 15:57 | #5

Gorgeous! Steeks are definitely the way to go with that. I like the way the round neckline looks in the photo. Not thinking a V would look as good. BTW Alison, you made me laugh out loud. I guess I have binders full of women modeling, too. ;)

6. July 26th, 2013 at 22:14 | #6

Helen -

I think you are right with the round neck line. A V-neck would be too much of a contrast to the curves of the design.

7. leanne
    April 15th, 2014 at 01:37 | #7

hi! This pattern looks amazing, do you happen to have the child version as well (53-5b I think it is called on Ravelry)? I would love to find a pdf of that pattern since I can’t seem to find any hard copies here in Canada :(

• April 15th, 2014 at 20:02 | #8

Sent you an email with a couple of thoughts!

8. Carol Casner
    April 26th, 2014 at 14:47 | #9

I have been running in circles trying to find this pattern preferably in English. Can you offer any suggestions? Thank you.

• April 26th, 2014 at 15:47 | #10

I don’t have it in English, just in Norwegian but it isn’t that hard to do it anyway since it is mostly measurements and charts.

Comments are closed.